Reason for Suspicion
By Paul Kiel – March 27, 2007
Having spent some time digging into the administration’s stated reason for U.S. Attorney Carol Lam’s firing, it’s time to cleanse the palate with the reasons why we’re so suspicious. So here we go.
- Lam was never confronted over her approach to immigration prosecutions…
- In November, shortly before Lam was fired, a Justice Department official brainstormed about how to explain firing several U.S. attorneys: "The one common link here is that three of them are along the southern border so you could make the connection that DoJ is unhappy with the immigration prosecution numbers in those districts."
- Lam was fired midway into a historic, wide-reaching public corruption investigation that targeted a number of Republican members of Congress and the executive director of the CIA…
- Lam’s investigation into Duke Cunningham and others is never mentioned in the Justice Department emails…
- The FBI’s bureau chief in San Diego has said, "I guarantee politics is involved" in Lam’s firing…
- May 11, 2006, the day after Lam informed the Justice Department that she planned to execute a search warrant on CIA Executive Director Kyle "Dusty" Foggo and the same day that it was reported that her investigation had spread to Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-CA), Alberto Gonzales’ chief of staff Kyle Sampson wrote to a White House official: "The real problem we have right now with Carol Lam that leads me to conclude that we should have someone ready to be nominated on 11/18, the day her 4-year term expires."
- Less than a month after Lam had been told she was fired, but before it had been made public, Sampson wrote to his Justice Department colleagues, "… we granted 1-month extensions for Bogden and Chiara, but not Carol — right?"…
- Firing U.S. Attorneys who are prosecuting corrupt Congressmen
- Doctoring intelligence to enter a war of conquest
- Unilaterally ignoring our treaties with the United Nations and the Geneva Conventions
- Secret invasion of privacy and ignoring the F.I.S.A. courts
- Over-riding the Constitutional Separation of Church and State
- Rewriting Congessional Legislation with Signing Statements
- Inventing a new governmental principle – the Unitary Executive.
It is nearly impossible for any of us to get our mental arms around the scope of possible illegality perpetrated by this administration against the American people these last six years, starting with how this cabal seized power. There are only so many congressional staffers, and there is no Department of Justice anymore after the attorney firings that has an interest in digging this up. The only way to grasp this and put together a large case against the adminstration in its remaining two years would be for a large group of folks with passion and research skills, who share a conviction that we are being led by criminals, to band together in one giant research project to spilt up assignments and scandals and put together the paper trail for Congress to follow. There are so many areas to dig into, but it could be done.I wonder where we could find hundreds if not thousands of folks who would be willing to act as an army probing the administration from thousands of angles?